“Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.”-Martin Luther.
Its that time between the rains and the winter when it’s chilly enough to snuggle under a blanket but yet not cold enough for sweaters and jackets to be optional. The odd hot and sunny day in between. Indian autumn shall we call it!
Apple seemed like a apt ingredient for some cookies to celebrate autumn. A sudden urge to make them as healthy as I could but still good. The earthiness of whole grain flour with the wholesomeness of oats and a sprinkling of the season’s favoured spice – cinnamon. And these cookies were born.
Perhaps not the best looking cookies , but they expect so little fuss from you and the rough around the edges kind of appearance appeals to me . Seems rustic and – Autumn y maybe ?
These cookies definitely fit the bill for the “autumn” challenge. Your home will smell of apples and cinnamon . Taste and texture wise, these are quite unlike the usual cookies I make. The edges are crisp and the centres deliciously chewy. And the yummy bits of fruit in each bite!
By the way …have you tried my simple oat cookies ?
One of the best things about fall–in addition to sweaters and football–is all of the delightful seasonal themes that come to mind for baking. Pumpkin, apples, late summer and early fall harvest, Halloween, Thanksgiving…. They are all fun and delicious to play around with, so check out what we have for you this month!
You can also use us as a great resource for cookie recipes. Be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them here at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Apple Cranberry Crumble Bars from All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Pecan Pie Thumbprints from Oven Delights
- Pumpkin Date Bars from What Smells So Good?
- Momofuku Corn Cookies from Food Lust People Love
- Apple Cider Cookies with Maple Frosting from 2 Cookin Mamas
- Maple Cookies from A Baker’s House
- Caramel Apple Shortbread Cookies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Pecan Butter Cookies from Basic N Delicious
- Caramelized Apple Oatmeal Cookies from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Apple and oat cookies from Flours and frostings
- Spiked Oatmeal Apple Cookies from The Spiced Life