“I call her the devil, ‘cause she makes me wanna sin
And every time she knocks I can’t help but let her in”.
I’m yet to try a brownie recipe that I didn’t like! And I ve tried a lot of brownie recipes. A LOT. When it comes to simple brownies, these are my go-to most of the time. But then I read up about this brownie…America ‘s Test Kitchen calls it the best brownie in the world , Oprah says its her favorite brownie , the best bloggers in the world say its the “ultimate” brownie… I just had to try it. How could I not!
So BAKED is a bakery in Nyc , the owners of which wrote these amazing books .Two of which I own and cherish. These brownies are one of the reasons the bakery and the books are so famous. I baked it right from their book “BAKED: New frontiers in baking” and other than halving the recipe, I pretty much left it as such.
Now , this is a rich brownie . It has 3 whole eggs , a full cup of sugar and half a cup of butter . But anything that tastes and feels this good , has got to be sinful at some level right! Aargh… how I dream of a world where chocolate had the same calories as spinach .
- 155 grams dark or semisweet chocolate
- 115 grams or 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee powder
- 150 grams or 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 50 grams or 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 80 grams or 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder (use Dark if you have it, I didn’t)
- 1/2 tsp salt
Makes : 16 2×2 inch brownies
Time : 20 mins prep + 30 mins baking time
Lets get started:
Preheat your oven to 180 C . Grease an 8 x 8 inch pan with butter
Heat together the chopped up chocolate, the butter and coffee in a bowl which is kept on a saucepan of simmering water (double boiler) until smooth
While still on the heat, whisk in the sugars. Then let the mixture come to room temperature
Meanwhile, whisk/ sift together the flour, salt and cocoa powder
Once the chocolate mixture is cool, whisk in the eggs ONE at a time.
Whisk in the vanilla
Sprinkle the flour mixture on top and fold it in using a spatula. Don’t over mix!
Pour the batter into your prepared pan. Bake at 180 C for 25- 28 minutes until a tooth pick inserted in the centre, comes out with a few moist crumbs.
Cool completely in pan and then slice.
- The recipe calls for dark cocoa , espresso powder and 60-72 % chocolate. I used regular cocoa , coffee powder and 53 % chocolate so my brownies aren’t as dark as the original .
- Double the recipe if you own a 9 x 13 inch pan (with 5 eggs)
- Wrap and store in an airtight container for unto 5 days.
These are so good! Superlatively good! Fudgy with a crackly top . Easy to slice. Rich and dense. So chocolatey. Everything that a brownie dreams of being. And everything I dream a brownie of being! Are they really the very “best”. Well, bake these “Baked” Brownies and decide for yourself!