“It’s amazing what you can see when you just sit quietly and look.” ― Jacqueline Kelly.
I know the title of this post holds a tall promise to keep , I am hoping these brownies will do justice to it. I think so atleast.
While it’s getting easier to find good vegan recipes , particularly for baking with chocolate , the perfect texture in vegan or egg free brownies alluded me until now. I have managed some excellent truffle brownies and a great cakey one , but a really good chewy-fudgy brownie seemed out of my grasp ! For a brownie connoisseur like me (connoisseur is too fancy, read brownie maniac) , brownie mediocrity is not acceptable. It had to be fudgy , the edges needed to be chewy , it had to be rich , it had to have an ever so crackly top.
And this one ticks all those boxes ! Big time. And it doesn’t have any vegetables or beans or anything from the fresh produce section in it ! Its just regular ingredients . Be sure to use vegan friendly flour and sugar according to the diet you follow. There is a tad bit of baking powder in there , which you can skip but it does its job well here.
And what’s better , these will probably be the easiest brownies you make too . How about that !
Although I loved these vegan brownies , two reasons I almost didn’t post them. One is because I couldn’t click pictures that shared just how good they looked ! And the more important one – I had taken a snapshot of this recipe (I have altered it a bit ) from some site a long time back and now just cannot seem to find the website . So I won’t be able to give credit to the original maker ( which is a big NO in my book ) , but I am still trying to track the site down.
But I just had to share them with you- because I just had to.
- 190 grams or 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 250 grams or 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar or organic sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 45 grams or 1/2 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened or dutch processed)
- 180 ml or 3/4 cup oil
- 180 ml or 3/4 cup water , at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or toasted nuts (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 180 C or 350 F.
- Like a 8 inch pan with parchment paper or butter and grease well.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt , sugar ,baking powder and cocoa.
- Add the oil, water and vanilla,and stir until smooth .
- Stir in the chips or nuts if using.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan . It will be thick. Smooth the top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out with few moist crumbs .
- Cool completely in pan.
- These brownies will last for 4 to 5 days at room temperature.
- Make sure you slice when they are cool or even chill for half an hour or so before slicing.
- You can also bake in a 9 inch square pan for 28 to 32 minutes for thinner brownies.
- Use vegan flour and sugar if you prefer.
- I used chocolate chips and the brownies were just sweet enough. Use 1 1/2 cups sugar if you like your brownies sweeter